Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript Development/Debug Console 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vem786

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
Hi All:
I was wondering If IE6.0 has any options to develop Javascript & debug it??

Because what all code that I write in a notepad, IF IT has ERRORS, then on the STATUS BAR of the page I see "done with errors".

But as we have Eclipse/Weblogic for Java development & Debug, I heard IE6 has such a provision. Is that true? If not IS there any Console available for free that I can use for my Javascript development.

Thank You!!

In IE for Windows choose:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Browsing section

Make sure there is no tick beside:
- Disable Script Debugging

Make sure there is a tick beside:
- Display a notification about every script error

Now... when you get a javascript error (and have the IE script debugger installed) then you will be able to continue and debug the problem.

Get the script debugger from:

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Here is an area where you might want to try Netscape.

The error identification is very efficient, a simple text screen with the bad code and the syntax error that loads instantaneously. I prefer it to the IE Debugger which fills up a heavy graphics screen with a ton of useless data, highlights the bad code, but gives no error message.

Plus Netscape 7 has a beautiful cookie manager.

Vem786,

Mozilla has the Venkman js debugger, which supports breakpoints, step in, step out, etc...

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); }

Thanks for that link BabyJeffy... While I prefer Mozilla's debugger, when a bug is specific to IE, it will be useful to have that debugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back