Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java VM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcole

Programmer
Aug 2, 2000
US
I have the Java SDK and other Java tools. They are looking for the Java.exe from the Java Virtual Machine. I am running Win 98. Where can I get this file or VM app?

java.exe is the sdk command you execute to run a Java Application. It can be found in the c:\jdk1.3\bin folder. You will also find there the javac.exe which is used to compile your java programs. Java programs have the .java extension. After they are compiled they have the .class extension.

eg. javac myProgram.java

eg. java myProgram
notice you leave off the .class when running the program.

Use the DOS console command to run these. Look at the Readme file and documentation to see how to set your class path. That way you can be in any folder and the commands will be found. For now you just copy your program to the bin folder and compile it and run it from there.

Also check out for more info on how to use the sdk. You can also find tutorials out there.

Take a look at my web site: http:\\javastudy\virtualave.net

It has links and examples. I put this together for my students and it helped them. Click on the coffee mug for my write-ups and examples.

Good luck,
Brian

Thank you. I thought I had gotten all the files I needed. When I tried to download this one it must have failed. I would love to see your web site but I cannot get in. Is the address correct?

Thanks, I found the site and the links. I'm sure they will be helpful. I have programmed in FoxPro and Basic (DOS to Visual) for 7 years. I need to be able to add some affects to my sites that FrontPage and VB don't offer. I have the entire Java environment set up now. Thanks agian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back