Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java VM install problems (IE 6 xp pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asilryc

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
CA
when I go to websites that require java, it brings up the
auto download, appears to download correctly and brings
up the microsoft website, stating "We're sorry. Automatic
installation of Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer
provided for Microsoft Windows XP."
I already had this component installed and working before
we had to re-install XP Pro due to a new hard drive.
How can I install this so I can use java components
online?

I have had the same problem, and it's due to the Sun Micro System Vs Microsoft court case. Microsoft has agreed to remove the support for Virtual Machine. If you want to use java see my post earlier for Vm get around or just visit java.sun.com and download their Java software. It works on all Windows versions including XP.

This should solve your problem. If it annoys Microsoft then it's worth doing, and doing well!!

Follow these instructions for downloading the latest VM from Windows Update:[ul][li]Go to the Windows update site[li]Click on the link for Windows Update Catalog[li]Choose "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems"[li]Pick your OS from the list then choose Advanced Search Options.[li]In the Search, type VM and press the SEARCH button. You should get a link in Critical Updates and Service Packs, click it.[li]Download the Security Update March 4, 2002. Note - you will have to pick a download location.[li]After download, drill down into the folder structure until you find the file MSJavx86.exe, double click to install.[/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back