Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java Virtual Machine Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brode

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
Hi all.

After a bout of hard drive deletions and uninstalls I find that I've gone too far. Whenever I go to certain sites I get the message that I can't see the page unless I download Microsoft Java Virtual Machine.

I'm then asked to click on a page that will install said missing Java Virtual Machine, but when I get there I get a message that says that Microsoft no longer has that available for download. I've gone to a couple of reputable sites, including ZD Net, and downloaded what they say is the right file, MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe.

In fact, I've downloaded it twice and installed it twice, and the result is that at some sites that are running java I have no problem, while at other sites I get the message. Compounding this is the fact that at some of the sites where I get the message all I have to do is click "cancel" as in ignore it, and the page comes up properly, while on other sites clicking "cancel" means the page doesn't load all the way. (Daily comic strips load. My web host's online tech support chat doesn't.)

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Brode

Thanks, Cirrus9, but strangely--or maybe not--I solved my problem via a backdoor. I decided to try Netscape and see what happened. I got the same message but this time it took me to Sun, where I downloaded their java virtual machine equivalent and installed it. It works in IE as well and I can now bug my web hosting company via their javascript tech chat room again.

Brode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back