Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java Test Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

crmayer

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
I am sure there are a lot of ways to accomplish this, but I would like to setup or start building an application with Java at home. Possibly using JBoss as the application server. (Our application at work uses JBoss and I would like to know more about it and how it works with a Java Application).

I am not sure where to start, I have installed JBoss on a server at home, and I have searched on the internet for Building a Java Application without a lot of luck.
I do find articles that talk about doing this with NetBeans, but I would like to set this up myself. I do not like that NetBeans does a lot of the work for you.

What I would like to see as an end result would be to build a small appliction that runs with JBoss and connectes to MSSQL server (which I already have up and running).

Again, I am sure this is a very broad subject, but does anybody know of some documentation that might be directed more towards beginners when it comes to building a java application?

Thanks in advance.
- Chris

Oh crikey. Beginners do not normally want to be messing around with J2EE and application servers like JBoss.

You are going to need to take this in stages, in my opinion. You will be aware of the many learning curves involved in just tackling straight Java (J2SE). Adding in J2EE and application servers adds many more.

I think that not using IDEs such as NetBeans or Eclipse is going to force you to learn the language better, but at the cost of major bouts of typing and refactoring should you need to change how things are names, connected and depend on each other mid-project. IDEs make these things simple. Doing it by hand is prone to much error and swearing.

Anyhow, you will probably need to install and learn how to use Apache Ant. This is a java-based 'make-tool' and with it you can automate compilation and building of deliverables such as jars, ears and wars etc. This is essential if you don't want to use an IDE I think.

There have got to be thousands of tutorials on all aspects of what you want to do out there on the web.

It's difficult to gauge what your level of Java experience is from your post. You'd be better understanding how Java applications can be written as standalone ones first, before venturing into application server land. Maybe if you outline what kind of 'small application' you are considering and we can take it from there?

Tim

Thanks Tim.
I do understand what you are saying I am probably asking to make a bigger jump then I am ready for.
I have been programming in Java for a couple years now, not full time, but on and off.
My concern is that I have been making modifications to an application in an environment that was all setup for me. I had nothing to do with any of it.

Therefore, I would like to get in to this a little bit.

I am ok starting small, I do not have a problem with that.

As for an application..... I do not know, I do not have anything drawn up.
Let's say something like this... I like to golf, so what if I wanted to create a little application that I enter golf scores into????

Is that something that would work??

thanks again
- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back