Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java process hogging cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherAlan

Technical User
Feb 10, 2006
GB
Hi All,

I am no java expert (or unix for that matter), however, I have a 440, Sol 8, that is running a fairly major app.
Part of this is a java process which to my knowledge is just passing trade data to a windows box for further processing.

My issue is to do with the amount of CPU % the java proc is taking. Even during quiet times I am getting ranges between 20-30% in prstat.

I've spoken to some Java bods who have advised that java is hungry and will take whatever is available. Which seems logical but annoying. I've considered setting the nice level to something higher (ran in test environment, but no real change - plus it is difficult to completely recreate the live). I'm now toying with the idea of using pbind to limit the cpu's that this process can get to. Not sure if this will help or hinder though.

If anyone has any ideas or seen someting similar in their environment then I would be interested to hear and get some tips.

Thanks.
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back