Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellegem

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
ZA
Hi all
Anybody got ideas as to why java is SOOOOOO SLOOOOW on a laptop. I dual boot my acer travelmate 430 java runs horribly slow in both Linux and windows. JBuilder and sun1 both take about 5 min to load from windows and JBuilder loads without pictures, icons etc in Linux. I can't see that a laptop would be that different to a desktop... wierd huh?

It probably not java that is slow, but the applications that you are working with that are slow. Both jBuilder and Sun1 are memory hogs which is why they require more time to load.

Mostly likely the problem is that your laptop has less memory than your desktop, which is why you see the increase load time.

I'm running JBUILDER 8 on a dell laptop (P4, 512 RAM) and it normally take 1 to 2 min to load.

No, that can't be it. My desktop is half the speed of my laptop (2.6GHz 512MB RAM etc) and JBuilder works perfectly on my desktop.

I agree with JVZ i run Sun1 on a dell 2.4 GHz with 1 gig of ram WinXP Pro and it loads faster than my desktop which is a 1.8 GHz with 512 megs ram Win2k Pro. Exactly what you would expect based on the hardware differences.

Unless your configuration of those applications is different on the different machines. For instance if they are doing any network activity what about bandwidth differences between the desktop and laptop? Basically with all other things being equal the faster hardware is going to be faster.

-pete

If the harddisk of your laptop is a slow one (and many are because the fast ones need more power causing batterylife to be shorter and are often more fragile causing larger chance of malfunctions) that too would influence loading time.

As to some things not showing on the laptop, that might be a limitation of your screen and/or videocard not being able to display for example high-colour icons (mine for example can only do 16 bit colour).

i have no problems running my full blown app on my laptop. I defragment my hard drive every month to make sure everything is ok. You may want to try it.

~za~
You can't bring back a dead thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back