Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JAVA JUCHECK.EXE 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCX008

Technical User
Apr 22, 2010
US
Is this app really needed ?? I found the java app's can slow down the resources on the PC .. I have not installed it but like to know if it is important ??

Thanks

That one isn't, it just checks to see if there is an update to the java client. Now depending on what you do with your computer, Java may be needed. Do you pay bills online?, online banking? And you may have programs that use java also.

What JUCHECK.EXE does is on the 16th day of every month at 02:00, it checks for updates. If you wish to disable it, from the control panel, select programs/Java. Select the update tab and uncheck check for updates automatically. Same as on XP.

The strange thing about it is if you are an admin user, this works fine. If you are a non admin user, after a while, it switches itself back on.

exactly, it keeps poping up when I restart my OS ..

Personally, I'd remove Java unless you actually need it. It's a well known program used for malware attacks.

If unsure, what I'd say is uninstall it and see how you get on. 95% of people don't need it at all and you can always reinstall if you do find you need it (I need it on a regular basis so can't).
Don't get confused, as many people do, Java is NOT the same a Javascript regulally used on websites.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Keep in mind that [as Sympology pointed out] that Java is a frequent attack vector. A common reason for these Java updates that occur is the that a new vulnerability is found and patched. So, if you do choose to turn off the automatic updating feature, make sure that you actually do manually check for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back