Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java in DOS ?? it's possible ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

guber

Programmer
Jan 4, 2002
US
I have a DOS only machine running as a client of a Novell 4 network.

The machine boot in 3,5 floppy (they do'n't have hard disk) and the netware take care the system.

Is there any way to run Java (can be console applications) in these case ?

thanks...
Guber

Hi guber,
Yes, you should be able to run Java programs on it, supplied that you have the JDK to run them and that they are console programs.
MarsChelios

Hmm, I actually started with programs that were executed in the command window, ie DOS, and never left. I would be surprised if a VM wasn't available for DOS somewhere, as there are already 4 versions+ for embedded operating systems. If your booting off floppy, however, you may not be able to run the VM on the system. It's pretty much taken for granted these days that even if you have a 4.5 ounce computer, you have hard drive space.
Sorry I wasn't much help,

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
For my next trick I will pull a hat out of a rabbit (if you think thats bad you should see how the pigeon feels...) :p

That doesn't make sense though. You can go to a command line and compile and run java. In linux, you don't need XWindows to compile and run java. Mike Wills
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Remember though that all MS Windows is just a GUI built on top of the DOS OS (XP billed as not being the case...??).

All that "java" is is just a bunch of files stored in the DOS FAT32 file system ... and all the 'javac' compiler and 'java' interpreter are just .exe programmes ... The JVM is just a means of compiling and interpreting java source code into executable native machine code ...

Without a hard drive though, there is no way that you can have enough space on the floppy to store the programmes and library files needed to execute compilation and interpretation of java source code - but in theory I guess if the machine was networked, and all programmes and files were stored on a networked machine, and the PATHS/CLASSPATHs were set up, then I guess you'd be OK ??!!

Mad, but probably OK anyways.

Pardon the badly written post above I was half awake at the time.
Ignore the "and never left" part of an overwritten sentance :p
The VM above is in alpha, but if there are problems with it I doubt it is the only one out there.

In your situation I would stick to a compiled to executable language like C or (ick) ASM that has a small footprint rather than an interpreted language that will need an interpreter and run exceedingly slow on a small system (even with JNI).

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
For my next trick I will pull a hat out of a rabbit (if you think thats bad you should see how the pigeon feels...) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back