Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java GUI App Performance...It is Not Funny Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael42

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
Java is a great language. I (and MANY others) are very disappointed with the performance of Java Windows or GUI applications though.

Has anyone ever realistically addressed this?

Has anyone else out there come up with a way to create Java GUI applications that run like their C (or even VB) counterparts?

Will the architecture ever be changed to remedy this?

Buying new hardware is not always an option.

Thanks for your thoughts, Michael

Myself and a colleague are currently developing a performance analyser for java. This is not designed to incease performance but rather highlight its bottlenecks and slowdowns. Don't know if this is any use to you but it will work for GUI applications once fully developed.

Regards
Ryan

I know there must be ways to improve performance. Take a look at ThinkFree Office, that is a java application (it does things like Word, Excel, PowerPoint). When I used it it was really fast for Java. Take a look. iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Well, the big slowdown is that is translated from bit code to machine language on the fly, and since all graphics are system dependant (on the widowing system) and since graphics are memory intensive... the bit code will never run as fast as native code. However, there are compilers that create native applications from java source (like Mozilla (netscape) uses)... While this defeats the compile once run anywhere nature of java, you at least need not modify the code to compile on any system. Java's drawing is getting faster, and sun wants it to get as fast as native code... So there will be a remedy, but it will take some time.

One part of the problem is Microsoft (obviously if running under Windows). Rumor has it that Microsoft purposely hinders java performance. I don't know if that is true, I do know that java is slower under Windows vs. OS X or Linux. iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Thanks for all your comments, suggestions and hope! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back