Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java futures

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormbind

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
GB
I just don't know.

iPhone/HTC and their ilk don't allow virtual machines. Java works only when using platform-specific libraries wrapped as an executable. But it still works, and its the only choice on some rival platforms such as RIM.

Then there's the server market - what is Oracle's big plan?

Does Java have a long-term future and which industries will benefit from it the most?

--Glen :)

Memoria mihi benigna erit qui eam perscribam

As noted the platform independence of Java is very compelling. Unfortunately the purchase of Sun by Oracle has left everyone hanging. I love JSP/JScript and use it extensively with Apache-Tomcat. Proper implementation of JNDI Context makes changing out a back end database about as simple as editing 2 lines in my server configuration file. What works better with a browser across multiple operating systems? Nothing that I am aware of. If Java dies it will be Oracle that kills it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back