Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java books

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADoozer

Programmer
Dec 15, 2002
AU
Can anyone recomend any beginner-intermediate level books/web material in programming with java, i have programming background in c/c+ and visual basic.

any references appreciated!

ok... i got impatient and ran out to buy

core java 2 volume 1-fundamentals by horstmann and cornell

at first glance it seems to be ok.

when ive read it ill come back with an opinion!

JAva 2 from Scratch by Steven Haines, published by QUE is a good book to get you off and running in Java, esp if you have prior programming knowledge.

the book takes you through the steps (and the code) needed to build an stock tracker application.
Uses:
JTables
JFrame/JPanel/Layouts
JLists
JMenus
Graphics2D
Sockets
Input/OutputStreams
URL
Timers

and a lot more. -------------------------------------------
There are no onions, only magic
-------------------------------------------

cheers jfryer: will take a look at the book you mention soon(PC World is gonna get the hump with me soon).

thanks for takin the time to post!

Sun's own tutorials are OK (avail as book or web). The online versions are quite handy for quick reference, but I find the style a bit chatty. Still, it's free.

Mappy: is there a site for these tutorials or should i just search google? (and pray!)

thnx for the post!

I agree with jfryer
the JAva 2 from Scratch by Steven Haines, is an exellent book for beginners, since the user will build an application and really learn alot of stuff....

Regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back