Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java books 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sds814

Programmer
Feb 18, 2008
US
Can anyone recommend java books? I have experience in C#.

Hi there! I am new to the Tek-Tips Java forum, and I was wondering if there was a forum specifically dedicated to promotions of books, ebooks, and articles on Java Programming. If you could please send me a link to get me pointed in the right direction or just post a reply for me saying that there is no such section on this forum, in either case, I would be very grateful.

Thanks so much for your time!

-Doug

Don't know of any such section. Your best friend is probably google. Having said that, be warned that there are a lot of crap books out there.

Have a look at the example programs. If one of them is about a dialog and uses a switch statement to decide which button has been pressed, ignore that book - the author doesn't have a clue about OOP and why we have inheritence and overriding. He has probably copied it from somewhere else, probably one of the first Java example programs that came out. About 90% of Java books have this example. The author may be a well known professor of Computer Science at a well known university and probably has loads of accolades but he's not giving the right message by copying some crap example that everyone else has copied. It is not who wrote the book - it is the content. The wrong content will teach you the wrong habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back