Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java Beginner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeLover55

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
US
I am a beginner when it comes to Java programming. We have a Java application(non-web based) running on a production machine right now. This application has 15-20 different classes and basically monitors the status of some servers at regular intervals and then updates oracle tables in a database.
I am supposed to modify this application but since I can't do this all on the production machine, i want to set it all up and test it out on my local machine. I have JRE, JVM, SDK etc installed on my computer and have also copied all the CLASS files from the production machine. I don't know how to proceed from here. There are JAR files available on the production machine but i don't know what to do with them.

Please help.

Hi CodeLover55,
You can place the Jar files in the ext directory under your JDK installation. The path should be similar to this:
Code:
  C:\...\j2sdk1.X.X\jre\lib\ext
[code]
  Also, You said you copied the class files over, but you will need the source files (*.java) to actually change the program.  
  I'm not quite sure if you were asking for more than that so let us know how this helps and if you need more. [smile]

Hope this helps,
  MarsChelios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back