Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java application / applet to EXE????

Status
Not open for further replies.

doreen

Instructor
Mar 3, 2001
US
Hi Java Experts,
Is there possible to convert application or applet to EXE so that it can execute alone without the need of JDK??? If yes, what's the tool used? And also how to convert applet to application and vice-versa.

thx
doreen

You don't need the full JDK in order to run a Java application, only the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Note that applets work inside browsers because they include a JRE in the browser code.

The JRE is the only real platform-specific thing about Java. A different one has to be created by each platform manufacturer. But this then means that the same compiled classes can run on different platforms. In other languages you would have to compile different exe's for each platform.

You can compress all of your class files into a jar file so that there is a single file to release.

Some people wish to protect their code from de-compiling (i.e. recreating source code from compiled classes) and there are programs to prevent this. My home ----> My company ->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back