Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java Applet/Distribution Question, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helixcoil

Programmer
Sep 8, 2004
CA
Ok, this may or may not be an easy question. I'm in the process of writing a TicTacToe Applet which I want 2 people to play over the net through a Java Server application. The main issue I'm running into is that I don't want to make the user to have to download anything from SUN even if does not have the most up to date runtime. I want to do something like what they have for pokerroom.com where the applet automatically downloads anything it needs from their server works without issues on most IE browsers. I've tried to run their applet from several different computers with varying Java setups and I've had no issues, but when I try to run my TicTacToe game on most computers it fails to load unless I go to SUN and install their runtimes. What setup are they using and how can I get something like that working with my setup? I would love to have something like a loading bar that would donwload anything it needs and then just run the applet without issue and then get rid of everything when it's all closed?

Anyway, Thanks in advance...

I don't have the answer, but some hints.

I've experiencied some problems with the removal of the MSJVM from XP, and I realized that you can never know what configuration the user can have.

You can`t even know if he has an installed JRE. From my experiencie, if you develop and applet with SUN JDK, it will require a version of Java Plugin, if it ins't in the system, an ActiveX control will appear to download it, and that usually needs user permissions.

I'd take a look at Java plugin info at Sun's web, it also talks about the tags you can include in your applet.

Cheers.

Dian

I guess if the other applet runs nearly everywhere, it only uses the very old java-libs, which where preinstalled on most windows (1.1.7 I guess).
So you have to avoid the whole swing-lib and a lot more.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back