Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java and exploits 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkbear

Technical User
Mar 22, 2002
US
Hi,
After having 2 Java exploits intercepted and removed by my security setup, I have disabled the Java Add On in my IE8 ( 32 bit browser on 64 bit W7).

Is that sufficient to avoid those things and will I really notice it being disabled?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

When you disabled Java were you looking at "All Add-ons" or just the "Currently Loaded Add-ons"? If you run with Java Disabled, or even uninstall it, then you probably wont notice too much until you strike a web page that requires Java or a program that requires it to be running. Often, but not always, you will get some type of warning that Java is required.

Are you surfing as an Administrator, a Standard User might be the safer option.

Hi,
Thanks linney, I disabled it from both ( there was 1 loaded ( Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper) and 2 in the all category ( Java Plug-In 1.6.0.26).
Also in the Run Without Permission section were 4 of the Java Plug-In 1.6.0.26 listings, all with the same file date).
I also disabled the isInstalled Class that was listed.

I am running as an admin user and would hate to have to change that since I have many saved passwords and cookies that I would need to redo if I were another user.( I know, but that is how it is)

[profile]

IE has an Import and Export item under the File Menu (not too sure what gets imported or exported). There is also Windows Easy Transfer to help with transferring settings if you ever consider a new User. You could also just make your User a Standard User and create a new Admin. It is your decision, I just point those out for future use.

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer

Description of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows Vista (or Win 7)

Fix a corrupted user profile

Hi,
Thanks again, I was contemplating the demotion of my current user account and the creation of another with admin status ( I just have to remember to create the new user BEFORE I demote myself [banghead] )

[profile]

Demotion is not a big thing, I live with it constantly but make great use of the right-clicking and "Run As Administrator" option. I hardly ever login as the Admin user.

hi,
Good Point...Thanks again for the advice.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back