Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Japan Sony Vaio notebook Modem issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman007

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
I have a Japanese sony notebook. vaio pcg-gr3f/bp.
I've reformatted the hard drive and installed xp pro.
I'm pretty sure I have the right modem driver (conexant).
when I install the driver, it says can't find hardware.

This in an internal modem and it can't find it. Is there something I need to do?

any help would be great!
thanks.

I don't know where you live but if it's not in Japan then I don't think that your internal modem will work. The Japanese phone system is not compatable with Europe or America - I have a Xircom LAN/Modem which I can only use the LAN from - the modem will not work with the Japanese phone lines - so I presume that the opposite is also true. You will probably have to get a PC card modem (which here are quite cheap.
In any event to get the modem recognised by the machine you might need an original Japanese driver (This will only install the modem - not let you actually use it outside of Japan). In Windows XP Pro you can install support for East Asian languages and your machine will then be able to read the Japanese driver. I have some Japanese hardware installed like this and at least then you could use the modem in Japan. But as I said - anywhere else you need a different modem.

Kim Leece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back