Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JAAS and Tomcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erikxxx

Programmer
May 5, 2003
GB
Hi,

I've playing around with JAAS and Tomcat 5.5 for a little while and got a simple login mechanism working using Tomcat JAASRealm and my own implementation of LoginModule together with protected resources specified in web.xml. I'm now trying a slightly different approach where I have created a servlet that will create a LoginContext and call the login() method of the JAAS module. In my servlet I do something like this:

LoginContext lc = null;
try {
lc = new LoginContext("TomcatTimedLogin", new MyCallBackHandler(user,pass));
lc.login();
}catch(Exception e){}

My question is, does this approach totally bypass Tomcat's container based security mechanism? For example, Once successfully authenticated (login() returns the correct SUbject) I cannot longer access my web pages that are protected (configured in web.xml). Also, calling getRemoteUser() returns null. How can I make sure Tomcat knows when a successfull authentication has been done?

Does this mean that if I want to take this approach I can't make use of protected resources in web.xml?

Thanks
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back