Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J2EE App - User Want Excel Like Grid for Data Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

smedvid

MIS
May 28, 1999
US
I am just looking for ideas/input to see if user requirements can be met...

My java developer told me that No Excel like interface is available under java... Now, I can not imagine that even a "cheap" 3rd party product/library does not exist... We are planning to use Java 1.5 (5.0) with Struts against an Oracle backend.

tia,

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

It depends on what features you need. Is just a grid or all the Excel functions?

Cheers,
Dian

Agreed...

Users are looking to cut & paste around 100-300 rows of data...

Steve

Steve Medvid

Wouldn't a table do the job? Or you can just use some kind of textarea to capture massive data if the user doesn't need to manipulate them.

Cheers,
Dian

After speaking with developers, one solution is to have a java button launch MS Excel on the users desktop and open a macro driven sheet. Once the sheet is saved, into a predefined directory, a sweep job will process the file(s) in that directory.. This may be the only option, per developers. Not being a java expert... my experioence is more VB/VBA.. It is still hard to believe that there are no other options.

Steve Medvid

I gave you two options, but without an answer to those or more details, it's hard to help you.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back