Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've upgraded to XP Pro from Win98S

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLoin

Technical User
Feb 7, 2001
US
I've upgraded to XP Pro from Win98SE and all went well except that my Samsung CD-ROM reader model SC-148F doesn't work so well. When I install a data or audio CD it doesn't recognize it by auto starting, When I open explorer and click on the drive it warns "F:\ is not accessible - Incorrect Function" when I go to the Device Manager and chose the properties it says device is working properly, I then chose the "Volumes" tab and click "Populate" - the contents then show up and I can use the drive until I put in another CD. The Microsoft hardware compatibility chart shows that the drive has been tested for XP and is compatible.
I've tried changing drive letters, updating the firmware and drivers and I still get the same error.
Also, when I put in an audio CD it won't auto-play, but if I open Windows media player it shows the track and plays fine.
Any suggestions?
Thanx!
I'm still waiting for my copy of "MENSA for Dummies"

I spent an hour on the phone with a Samsung tech assistant, very helpful, however he couldn't figure it out. He recommended I go to Microsoft support and check around. I went to Windows XP Knowledge Base, and typed in the search box "incorrect Function". Bingo, there it was my answer - Roxio EasyCDCreator was causing an error, I upgraded the software for free at Roxio's site and no more problem! I'm still waiting for my copy of "MENSA for Dummies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back