Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ive lost Windows 98 using a "Restore Factory Setting" Re-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedofcrawley

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
US
Bugger...
Ive rebooted my PC with the Boot Disk to clean out old files before selling my PC, and using the boot disk I've inadvertantly rendered it completely useless. I accendently (honest) selected "Restore Factory settings" and am now left with the bare minimum operating system (only 16 colours, no programs etc). I still have my Recycle Bin and My Computer, and err...thats about it! I need to restore my PC to its former glory, so Im in a position where I can actually sell the darn thing, so any suggestions or advice would be heavily appreciated people...
Many thanks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for return posts!
Cheers - Phil.

You may have to reload the OS and any progarms
that you want on it.
DocDorow

What vendor did you buy it from, most will have included the full install of Windows as a fallback, or were they on the hard disk? I don't know of any here in the UK that don't. Either way, do you have all the regular stuff like Control Panel, Dos prompt, etc?

If you know what hardware you have, you will need to get the drivers for them if you don't have them on disk, is there a seperate drivers disk? Failing that the manufacturer's website would be a good place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back