Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've installed Suse 9.0 how can windows see the files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mviltan

Technical User
Mar 27, 2001
GB
I've got a pc with 2 hdd, one has xp sp2 and the other has linux 9.0 i've never really used linux before.

How can i make it possible so windows can see it's files?

I have a home wireless network so it doesn't have to be the same pc but i'd prefer if it could do!

Thanks,

Mark

Take a look at your suse documentation, check the samba section. You could go right ahead and try to install samba via your suse's yast, and check the suse configuration panel for it, whenever that exists.

. Mac for productivity
.. Linux for developement
... Windows for solitaire

windows is too much stupid (he he) and it is not able to read any filesystem which is not NTFS or fat32/16. Linux uses (ussualy) ext2 or ext3, but linux is able to read fat16 and others.

There is a special NTFS module in order to make linux to *read * (and NOT write) that kind of filesystems, but I don't think suse has it, because legal issues. (debian can read it at least).

If you want Windows to be able to mount the SuSE hard drive, then you'll need a third-party filesystem driver, since Windows doesn't recognize anything but FAT and NTFS. I don't know what filesystem you're using under SuSE, but there are are Windows drivers for ext2 available here:
I've never used them, so I can't tell you if they're any good.

Actually, I read and write NTFS just fine from linux with Captive.

To the original question, although I've not tried any of these, depending upon what file system you use, you should be able see the Linux partition on the local machine from Windows. Here's one link for ReiserFS, which is probably what your SuSE distro installed.

Just google around and you'll find competing products or filesystems. Some of them are commercial so if you can't get the link above or any of the free ones to work, you could always purchase a solution.

Thanks for the reply's, just to let you know, all i did was put the 9.0 cd in and done a defualt install. How can i tell what file system i'm using?

df -Th

. Mac for productivity
.. Linux for developement
... Windows for solitaire

I'v always used explore2fs for reading linux partitions within windows. You don't get write access however, which pretty sucks, but I have more than one PC, and just store the files I want to share on that, then just grab the files from it whenever I need them and whichever OS I'm in.

Ally

Another option is to put a fat32 partition somewhere and save all your files (from linux and Win) there. Fat32 is readable (and writeable) by both OSs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back