Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've hard time choosing between IBM ADSM and LEGATO NETWORKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

inka

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2001
IL
I need to choose backup software for my IT environment (which is rather large ,and consists off differents platforms ,DBs etc. ) I have decidec on LEGATO NETWORKER ,but my boss wants to know why it's better than TSM of Tivoli. Someone got an idea how I can offer him a reasonable explanation ?

Hi Inka, I think your choice is not the adequate. We design and implement networked backup solutions, including TSM, Legato and ArcServe, and as we have found, TSM has more powerful features related to security, flexibility, process paralelism, expired data tape space reclamation, remote monitoring and administration. Also, TSM have modules for Disaster Recovery, specially for NT and W2K servers. Try to compare functions, one by one in order to have a better idea of what I am saying. When we implement solutions using Legato, is because the customer needs to backup DG/UX servers with Oracle, without closing the Database. Legato has the agent that does that.
TSM does not have an agent and as they said, they are not going to develop any agent for such plataform.

Hope to be useful for you,

raar

I disagree with Raar's response. Networker has gotten me out of many a bind. Our environment is rather complex and Legato was the perfect fit. Not to mention TSM cannot support NDMP. This was essential for backing up our NAS devices directly from disk to tape. Also TSM does NOT have supported server platforms for popular platforms such as Compaq Tru64, Linux, SGI IRIX, HP3000 (HP-MPE/ix). (TSM only has client support for Linux & Tru64). I think the biggest difference for me was that Legato was a lot easier to install than other packages I've worked with, and I still talk to the engineer that sold it to me today. I also found TSM a lot slow in the eval process.

I work for a fortune 500 company which has over 100 plants through out the United States. We run Legato at most of our sites and TSM at sites that need a lot more functionality. I view Legato as a hammer while TSM as a sledge hammer.

For us, TSM has been very solid while Legato works but not as well as TSM. However, Legato is easier to set up for the average person. But once you understand TSM, it is pretty easy to setup as well. Legato does support more server platforms, while TSM supports only the popular server platforms. If you have platforms which are NOT popular like Compaq Tru64, SGI IRIX, and Tandem Guardian, you just could set these up as TSM clients.

Legato had NDMP support first, but TSM has NDMP support as well.

As a system admin, I would choose TSM before Legato but you really have to choose which product fits your needs best.

Hope this help!!
- David Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back