Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've confused myself with some dynamic sql. HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timfoster

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
GB
I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a tangle with this bit of dynamic sql. Can anyone look at it with fresh eyes and clear it up for me?

The statement is stored in a table as a string. It's actaully a string that runs against a Postgres database using OPENQUERY. The table is read and each statement executed in turn.

My statement needs to have a series of ' (single quote) in it. My problem is I can't work out how many I need and where for it to execute properly.

The 'complied' version should be:
Code:
select id, trim(leading '<searchdate>' from substring(demographicdata from POSITION('<searchdate>' IN demographicdata) for POSITION('<searchdate>'
IN demographicdata)-POSITION('<searchdate>' IN demographicdata))) as searchdate from xmltable

This works fine when I run it on the Postgres box. Obviously when I run it from SQL I have it as a string to pass to OPENQUERY. This is where my problem comes. I can't get the right mix of single quotes to force SQL to pass the correct string to Postgres.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been staring at this for absolutely ages now.

Thanks folks.

You just need to double the singe quote, e.g.

declare @SQL = replace(myField,char(39),char(39) + char(39)) --contains select id, trim(leading '<searchdate>' from substring(demographicdata from POSITION('<searchdate>' IN demographicdata) for POSITION('<searchdate>'IN demographicdata)-POSITION('<searchdate>' IN
demographicdata))) as searchdate from xmltable

also take a look at QuoteName function - very helpful for SQL.

And take a look at my friend's explanation of dynamic SQL here

PluralSight Learning Library

Thanks markros for the "new" function. I have had the quote problem in the past. Also with the settings I have for FF the font on the link is painful for an old guy. [smile]

djj
The Lord is My Shepard (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back