Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've been out of the game for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeydidit

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
US
Thought I would check in with the group. Been a while since I have worked on anything branded Avaya. My shop was going to Cisco CUCM with Unity when I left. I retired after 40 years, got bored and took another telecom engineer job. Walked into a pretty nice system.

Looking at the boards, I don't see near the traffic on the site that used to be. I know Cisco has a larger presence that they used to. Has that taken away from the Avaya site? Is Avaya slipping away? I hear Carousel has a huge Avaya side. Guessing that's a good thing? Anyways, I'm trying to get a feel for where things are at in the industry now.

Good to be back guys.
Thanks
Mikeydidit

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Hi, Mikey.

There's still a lot of Avaya work out there with BPs like Carousel or others. Avaya has been "slipping away" for over 20 years now and likely has at least a little more life remaining. The market is certainly changing but Avaya isn't done yet.

I think traffic on this board waxes and wanes as folks retire and others start. There have been a lot of "newbie" questions from people just beginning their adventures with Avaya so that's good. There's certainly a lot of information already posted so perhaps more people are reading older posts rather than asking the same question again.

Anyway, welcome back!

Personally, I’ve seen less and less Cisco and more and more Avaya. At least in the realm of the two. I don’t see more PBXs in general than their used to be. So much of the on premise customers of the past have moved to hosted solutions and so on. Critical Infrastructure and Health seem to be still growing and upgrading within the on premise space though, so that leaves room for Avaya.

It’s a very different industry that has changed it’s face and look so many times in the past 10-15 years. Exciting but uncertain futures.

Thanks for the replies. I know in our case, the Avaya "Restructuring" lead us to going to a complete Cisco overhaul. 5 plus Millions of dollars and never had more than about 1000 stations working. End of life and the upgrades that goes with it was going to be a major killer... About the time I left, more people (who didn't know anything about telecom) starting showing up in management and decided to try to go to Microsoft team calling. That should be really special with almost 4000 stations. I decided it was time to go. You know, I worked on CUCM for about 5 years. If your place of business needed something in the lines of a commercial business system, its not a bad way to go. Unity is as good of a voice messaging platform as I have ever had the pleasure of working on. Its that good. Teams calling on a small scale would would also be something which is more than nothing. But in the end, if your on an Avaya system you already have the best PBX out there period. Cisco is going to cost you lots more to get less. And teams, well. It beats POTS lines..

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back