Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Its time after 28 years... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman50

Technical User
Jan 8, 2011
GB
to throw the towel in. We are shutting our business as times are hard out there for small businesses like ours and the cloud is not and never has been our way. So all the best to you guys; retirement calls for me and my son is taking a new road away from self employment.

I will hang around and help where I can if you don't mind but will evemntually fade away as Mitels seemingly new direction is not the way we work.

hasta la vista ....

Yes I am afraid that some of us more long in the tooth engineers who still know how to read a schematic and wire a relay are soon to be a thing of the past.

The new young folks coming up will look back at our skills as a lost art in the not too distant future.

When I first started in the industry I worked with a salty old Pac Bell engineer who could go cock his ear and just by listening could identify what relay needed burnishing on the old crossbar systems and he taught me a lot.

All the best

You've been very helpful over the years, you'll be missed.

Hopefully you'll find a means to use your skills.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

It sounds simple, but I believe you were happy working for Mitel, all the best for you and your son

I was once happy working wit Mitel, but they then made it very hard for micro businesses like ourselves. I'm retired through ill health anyway and was just supporting my son. he seems to be happy with his decision to close the company (at least for the time being).

They should have stuck with lawnmowers IMPO.

Telecom Lead Tech
NTT-Data

How old is he and what does he plan on doing..I'm asking for a friend!

All the best to you on you, wireman50. You've been a great asset to these forums sir.

jsaad, if your asking for why I think your asking be aware they are in the UK

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

It’s sad to read this, however we all should accept the change in technology and prepare for the present and future of cloud.

My uncle, who I used to work with for years in the Mitel/telecomm business, recently told me “that work that we used to do as talented engineers will be done by a secretry in less than 10 years”.

If we all know that this is changing, the question is, what are we doing about it? Are we going to wait until we are not required to think where to work and make a living?

Shouldn’t we already be making the transition while the legacy technology still has some momentum?

In Europe everything is going cloud, especially for small offices. I know you may be thinking the equipment we install is for medium/large customers but cloud will also come to large premises soon. I’ve seen large chain hotels requesting cloud sollutions for their room communications already.

Let’s not wait that long, let’s evolve to cloud if we want to continue in this business, while keeping working with the legacy products.

I’ve seen real cloud sollutions and they are also fun to work with, challenging, customers like it, superb quality, etc. Business model is definitely different but there are also oportunities there to make good deals.

For your son wireman50, there are still loads of Integrators in the UK that still require personnel with your son’s skills. I am sure he can find a good opportunity there.

I wish you all the best to you and your son. Let us know if we can assist in any way from Spain.

Cheers,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back