Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ITs BACKUP TIME Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkdev

ISP
Aug 2, 2002
IN
Hi friends,
can anyone provide me with a good backup solution for mac OS 9.X.I want to backup all the data on to a PC hard drive but it should noe be manual one , i want it to happen automatically on scheduled time.
hoping to get an assistence from you side friend.
thanx dev

The only way to do this is to compress your Mac data to a archive format like HQX or SIT to retain the data and resource forks. If you simply copy files to a Windows hard drive, you will lose a lot of Mac file-application association data, confusing the Mac when the files are restored.

This compression will require a lot of extra space on the Mac drive to operate.

Why not purchase an external USB/Firewire drive that is Mac-formatted (HFS)? ...or burn to CD/DVD?

Try searching versiontracker.com for 'backup' software. 'Retrospect' may be a good option.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Thanx picklefish , can you please sugest some make of USB/firewire drive that is mac formatted.It would be of great help
thanx
dev

Most any drive can be Mac formatted. Just check the boxes at your retail store. They should say Mac-compatible.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back