Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

It's a Fan, Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason777

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
Hello All, This forum has been very good to me in the past, usually on the Unix side. I give you a Windows 2000 question...

I have a Compaq Armada 7400 Laptop running Win2kPro-SP3. When I start it up the fan clicks on for 1.5 seconds, this is normal operation. When the Win2k Splash screen comes up, the fan turns on and happily spins away for 15 seconds. After that it does not come on again... ever. I was playing a DVD and my pants almost caught on fire, still no fan. So I started searching, trying to find out anything about how to manually control the ACPI settings in Win2k. I downloaded the lastest SP3 and the latest BIOS flash for this laptop and even the Compaq power Utils. Still no fan. So here I am, please help.

Had the same problem with my HP Pavilion. The problem started after I applied a Windows update. After several call to HP's Tech support (Mine was still under warranty) they had me reinstall the original software from the factory disks. Problem solved. Their explanation was that the Windows updates are not always compatible with laptops.

Perhaps a fan control thermostat is at work? Check the system temperatures.

I have the same trouble with a Dell inspiron 8100 laptop. Once windows XP is started up the fan will no longer start up. The laptop gets very hot but no fans. Again outside of windows the fans work fine. Dell techs that I have talked to claim the laptop is working correctly..... I would appreciate any input on this. a utility that will run the fan or a possible solution....

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back