Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT "Odd Job" Web Sites 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2001
US
I was wondering what others think of those web sites that post IT "one offs" and odd jobs. These are mostly software development, web design, and so on. In many cases they use an auction format.

At first they seemed like a good way to pick up some extra work. Very soon I noticed:

* The pay (maximum bid) is usually absurdly low. Often $100 to $500 US for things that would take one heck of a lot more than 10 or 20 hours.

* People with no business bidding often bid things down even further. Recently these sites stopped disclosing details of existing bids.

* Very often a "job" is posted saying "well, the last guys never finished" or "the last guys made a mess" or "these other guys made it work but it is awful and the documentation was never delivered." Plenty of indication that people are low-balling these things and can't deliver.

And my favorite of all time:

* Develop this general-purpose, reusable thingy for me. By the way I want the source and all rights to the software.

On this last point I can only imagine the buyer is after one of two things. Maybe they want a competitive edge and don't want you reselling to the other guy across town or across the country. Maybe they think they'll resell it and get rich off your efforts.

I suspect that in many cases it is the latter.

But what happens is:

* YOU lose an opportunity to make money off your work.

* FUTURE CUSTOMERS lose out because you can't resell the solution to them (perhaps with customization services) at a good low price.

I mean geeze. I might be willing to spend some time on something and sell it at $200 a pop if I could resell it. Especially if the topic was something interesting. That $200 would be going into 5 hours of customization and business overhead at $40/hr. This is a very reasonable rate for quality work. I've "eaten" the development costs myself at that!

So my questions about this are:

* Isn't it too bad this sort of skills/services market is a mess? Or don't you think it's a mess?

* Shouldn't there be a way to keep people out of the market who ruin it for both "Buyers" and "Sellers?" It sounds like conditions are as miserable for one as for the other.

* Don't you agree that payment ought to be a lot higher for projects where all rights to the code are transferred? The idea here being if I can resell my efforts I can charge a lot less. Maybe even the ridiculous prices these people want the stuff for?

* Or is the best answer "fuggedaboutit" and just avoid these sources of small jobs?

Some good points though about this type of job board include:

* You can take it or leave it. If it looks like a quagmire just don't bid. You aren't committed until you win the bid.

* You can get some idea about what the buyer wants before bidding. This lets you focus on what you know how and want to do. Watch out for traps here though.

* You could get some experience with a technology you've just picked up. I'd hope you were sure you were good at it before wasting a buyer's time and money though.

* By nature most of these jobs are "telecommuting" jobs. This opens up a larger market for your skills than just in and around town.

It occurs to me that this sort of thing comes about when a company wants to do something on the cheap. They're probably thinking that they can get some high school kid to knock up a web site for a bit of pocket money.

It can work sometimes - there's a budget airline in Ireland, Ryanair, and I'm told that their web site was built by some guys in college for a fraction of the price it would have cost to have brought in a professional consultancy outfit. I'm sure there are loads other examples as well.

I think that you can be opening a can of worms if you go the "moonlighing" route. This stuff has a habit of encroaching on the day job.

The web is almost useless for finding a good job. How many people do you know who have found good jobs because of something they saw on a web site?

Chris

I was talking about short contract work and such, not things like jobs off Monster or someplace.

Personally,

I stay away from those "contract" websites. As you state above Dilettante the projects are outrageous and the bids are even more.

I believe most of those projects are some little BS company who don't have a clue, and the developers answering these projects are mostly from India, and high school students.

It all comes down to and I believe this without exception "You get what you pay for".

Don't waste your time with those project websites, and concentrate on your skills, and develope your own tool or product (Shareware/Freeware) it is much more rewarding. "did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

MrGreed

Algernonsidney-
My current job and my last job were found becuase of the web. I did interview with a real person, but both jobs were initially found on the web. I have worked at my current job 3 years so maybe things have changed. I am not looking for a job, but I think you can't go on just the web as your source for looking for a job. You need several sources. The best way people get jobs is through referrals form friends, relatives or other collegues.

All,

As a VB, SQL and Access developer I am interested in working on contracts for building new database systems but I dont know of any good sites on the web for information. Has any got any ideas ?

Regards,

Harpz

Sure, you get what you pay for. But why single out India? The discussion was about advertising these small assignments and bidding for them. I wouldn't like to make sweeping statements about countries.

The counter example is of course what we are told about "Ryanair". Did they or did they not get value for their money?

Look at the web site of many real gurus. (Acknowledged leaders and intellectuals). Simple text based stuff.

Generally programming languages - and that includes web design and other programming assignments - follow the "flavour of the month". So you train and then re-train yourself and what happens. Some other guy with the same basic knowledge but without your finely honed skills and experience comes along and underbids you. IT's A FREE WORLD. Sometimes he gets the bid, often times you do.

The web is really borderless and all web users (and sites) follow the Americam businness model.

For your information, American and western economies account for more than 90% of web revenues. What are you worried about?

You should welcome these Indians and others as "Americans in the making".

Mind you, I think nicknames say a lot about persons.

End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back