Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

It lives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
You have make a cloned pix ! Great ! But what do i need to create a cloned pIX ? What's the bios sequence ? To create a cloned pix, you must have a bios's copy ? no ?
Best regards.

Bordeau Jerome

I think it's pretty evident from the pictures what you need. Pay attention to the chipset part numbers. Both NICs and motherboard are Intel. Dont worry about the BIOS.. the Cisco flash takes control of the boot sequence on power up right after the onboard BIOS post test. Just turn of things like hard drive parameters and make sure the serial port is enabled by default at the bios level.

I found the flash card on Ebay.. word of advice... the 2meg flash is ALOT cheaper (200 vs. 800)then the 16meg and IOS 5.1(x) will do everything you need for the sercurity labs.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

H Mike,

have you a tutorial to install this FrankenPix ?
When you boot, what do you install firmware ? You can use Rawrite directly on flash card ? Explain me what do you install this Firmware and question :
On PIX CISCO, we have a ID on each pix. This ID unlocked Des and 3DES, and Unlimited connexion. What can you do ?
Best regards
Bordeau Jerome

No tutorial as of yet. In order to really do it justice, I need to get my hands on a 16 meg flash and compare the 2 with the 16. They should be the same but there have been reports of the compatiblity issues. I will bet that the 2meg is a bit more tolerant to non-standard hardware then the 16meg is.

The installation is pretty straightforward. If you can plug cards into a motherboard, you can do this. The PIX card goes into the first ISA slot. I keep a cheap video card in the AGP slot not because the pix needs it but in case I need access to the boot BIOS of the motherboard. The ethernet cards go into their PCI slots. Nothing fancy. Just remember in bios to turn off the hard drive and enable the floppy and COM1.

The firmware(flash) is used just like any other pix. If you have an older version of the IOS, you would need the floppy drive and rawrite. In my case, I have 5.1(4) which allows for TFTP. The BIOS on the flash card handles all the core operations and that is not changable..

On my IOS, my license allows for DES, 6 interfaces, failover and unlimited connections. I do not have the license for 3DES nor do I plan to buy it. I already have 3DES on my 501 and that is good enough for my lab.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

That sound byte cracks me up...oh I loved that movie.

Glad you liked it.. I could not resist a bit of humor with the page. The subject lends itself too well to it. If you click on the good doctor, it will take you to Amazon's DVD page for the movie. Every geeks needs it in their collection.

MikeS
Find me at
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back