Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

It Keeps restarting ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoja

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
Hello, I had a problem with my computer in windows XP. I have a partition on my desktop, and on one side I have windows millenium which I never use, and on the other I have windows XP Pro. For some reason one day it froze and I just turned the computer off, and now when I start the computer, and choose Windows XP Pro, it acts like it's login in and then it just restarts the computer....I have tried it about 100 times allready, and nothing happens. After I choose Windows Xp Pro. it tells me that the computer was not shut down correctly, and It has a n option to log in on Safe Mode, Last good settings, or start windows normally.... I have chosen all the options, but it keeps doing the same thing, it just restarts and never logs in. I don't know if it was a virus, but I hope someone can help save my information that I had on there. Please advice, thank you.

Might be the blaster virus. Can you log into Win ME and run a virus check?

good luck
-Van

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Click on Tutorial then the Charlie White article on XP crash.
This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

314503 - Computer Stops Responding with a Black Screen When You Start Windows

HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

317277 - You Receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" Message After Every Restart

Try running ChkDsk from the Recovery Console to check your drive for errors.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Well, I just wanted to let you guys know that I fixed my computer without loosing any files. What I did was to replace my windows ME for windows XP, and for some reason when I installed it, it automatically fixed my win XP Pro, so I logged in saved my files and did a virus scan, and I had "120" infected files on my computer !!! yeah...that's what I said!!!

Thanks

I wont come to you for a recommendation for a Virus Scanner.

Care to say which brand?

Set your surfing user up as a Limited User so they can't do major damage to your system.

These following sites are general security sites which will help you with some security ideas.

Beginners Guides: Spyware Protection and Removal
This is an 8 page article but worth the read.

Here's one from CERT, the Carnegie-Mellon Software Engineering Institute.

Microsoft TechNet Security - Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back