Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT Customer Service Survey 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midiean1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2002
US
I am looking to do a Customer Service Survey for the first time in my office. I am having difficulty thinking of questions oriented to this type of survey. If you think of any, I'm sure that the rest of the IT world would appriciate the ideas that our peers have.

Hi Midean1,

Closed questions are best, requiring yes no answer. Anything else is going to require additional work to make sense of if you're thinking of generating a report.

Questions along the lines of
-Are you happy with level of service (Y/N)
If N, please state reasons ....
---------------------------------
How would you rank your knowledge of Application X?
1 2 3 4 5
If answer < 4 state reasons
More training? More exposure ....
---------------------------------
What changes would you like to see? is a question best avoided, because people tend to treat like a Dear Santa letter, and go looking for a new bike, server, PDA's for everyone, telecommuting priveleges etc etc

Have Fun

HTH
;P

for three good examples, check out techrepublic.com... probably need to register...

ftp://ftp.techrepublic.com/itconsultant/resource_doc/service_quality_surveys.zip JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Here are some questions I would use... I know they are mostly opened ended questions but as someone who use to write questioneers and has taken his share of them the simple yes/no questions do not provide you with the depth you need to improve a technical support center... They can point out weak spots but not what to do to imrove them, remember if your asking the customer what is wrong you should also be asking them what they feel you should do to improve it... You work for them, so if you do some of the things they suggest then your going to give the preception of improvement, even if your actual numbers don't show it...

Has our technical support staff provided excelent technical support?

What could we do to improve our support?

Have you had a bad exprenece with a member of our support staff? Would you descibe it? Can you suggest how the incident should have been handled?

Have you had an exceptional experence with a member of our support staff? Would you descibe it? What made the experience exceptional?

How can we assist in providing better technical training to you or your staff/department?

What is the most important thing to you when you call:
1) Getting your problem resolved quickly
2) Making sure the issue does not happen again
3) A support call that may take up more of your time but is very indepth and may resolve issues that you didn't know you have

How do you feel about:
The technical support staff having the ability to remotely control your PC?
The technical support staff talking you through issues?
Using self repairing software
Etc...

What do you feel would be the best training for our technical staff?
1) Technical training
2) Communication and Customer service classes
3) Improving the staff's understanding of the company's business

Is there anything that was not mentioned above that you would like to see us do to improve our service? CJ
- If chickens could fly would they egg ugly people?

Hi,
You don't say how large your survey population is, but our company uses a CHEAP and easy to use tool called Survey Monkey (see I was amazed at the functionality we get for the price; we used to spend a lot of staff time administering and compiling the results of surveys; no more.
My advice on the questions...

*Always provide a 'not applicable' choice so that employees who don't do the function (or use the app) you are asking about have some way to convey that. In many companies I've worked in, the fact that a user had never attempted to get into an application came as news to management.
*Allow the employee to make suggestions for improvement: feeling listened to goes a long way for user relations, and often you'll be surprised how much they may want things that are inexpensive to provide.
*Don't forget to ask questions about the business process that the application supports. Often issues expressed about an application are really problems with the business process the application's use is imbedded in, or visa versa. If the user has no other way to give feedback about the rest of the process, they may use the application survey to convey those gripes, rather than not express them at all.
* Divide questions about an application into categories by probable cause up front. This helps in analyzing root causes on the back end. Some suggested categories...
ACCESS: -hours of availability, -passwords/ids, -equipment functioning
SUPPORT: - help line availability and help desk staff competency, -written/online doc
GUI: -easy of understanding without using doc, -does the application 'make sense', -what is missing?
FUNCTIONALITY: -reponse time, -bugs/error messages, -does it meet the users' needs, or must they 'work around' the system?

Off to the train,
chicagoAnalyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back