Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT burnout 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizabeth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 1999
US
Interesting group of articles in Computerworld - about IT work place stress. One compares the higher rate of turnover with women in IT to canaries in the coalmines. In case you never heard about the canaries, coalminers used to bring them down to help detect toxic levels in air quality. The canaries were more sensitive and would quickly die if the air was bad (gas leaks I think), signalling the men to get out - quickly! Link to on-line survey re: IT stress in last article.

As a manager of software developers I am painfullly aware of the shortage of "good" IT professionals. As a result, my priorities regarding my staff include providing a balanced workload, and worklife and taking into consideration they have a homelife as well. I realize I really cant afford to lose good staff members. There is (what I hopefully believe)a healthy level of stress here. I often ask people to operate just a little out of their envelope regarding new technology, and deadlines etc. I believe most of us like a good challenge, as long as it is realistic and doesn't end up in a lose-lose scenario.

I am surprised of some of the talk I hear about stress levels being so high in the IT world. I should think IT management should be more enlightened, which from reading the articles they are getting there. Hmmmm....they will let me learn more...so I can do more... so I can work more...for the same compensation...OK ..we'll talk about that some other time.

Also, if IT professionals are in such demand, if the environment gets to be too stressful and your personal life is not in balance why not move to a more enlightened company or learn to say "No", or work on your personal life. Can we not start to manage our bosses?

We IT professionals are in demand and we don't need to put up with an environment that does not allow us to grow both professionally and personally and still allow us to have a personal life.

PS.: I am not so sure of the canary analogy... it seems to imply that women cannot handle stress very well. I do not believe this to be the case. From my experience the women I have worked with of n number of years in this business just don't fit that model at all... Anyway, its not about gender.

Regards,
Ivan In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

Pivan, re: canaries, I don't take it that they meant females can't handle stress, but that females tend to be more aware of it, more aware of the trade-offs, and less willing to tolerate a toxic environment. So attrition of females is a danger sign to the rest of the IT community.

Thanks for the clarification, Elizabeth.

In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back