Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Istbar removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

basicbill2222

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
CA
Hi,
I am looking for some info on how to remove an annoying artifact from my computer. My searching has revealed that it is a trojan called Istbar.CB . Apparently, it has something to do with a toolbar for IE but I certainly didn't deliberately download it. I use Firefox. IE is now automatically opening to some idiotic 'Smiley' warehouse page. On my Realtime protector screen is listed as W32/Istbar.CB@dl . I downloaded FXIstbar.exe which is supposed to clean it but it says it can't find it. I then downloaded Trojanhunter for the limited time trial and it did locate and delete some files and change some registry keys but the problem recurs when I reboot. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this piece of *!*& ?

Thanks in advance,
basic b

i found this link. remember to turn-off system restore when doing the removal procedure.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

I found a real easy way. I downloaded the Microsoft Beta of Windows Anti Spyware. Got rid of it right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back