Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with Telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewild1

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
CA
I'm hoping someone can help out a newbie with some issues we're seeing with Procomm. Our version is 4.8 and running on XP machines. It initially started with a wireless laptop trying to connect via telnet and gradually spread to other 'wired' PC's that connect via telnet. What we're experiencing is that upon entering data, sometimes the keys pressed result in an entirely different character all together, ie; I'll enter 32334 and the screen will display 323:4

Can anyone provide some insight into what to look at that may be the root cause of this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can try downloading the updated telnet module from here:

I received this from the last developer to work on Procomm and I believe the majority of the fix in this file was to resolve problems when using multiple telnet windows, but there was one or two other issues he fixed as well I think. Rename your existing copy in the PROGRAMS directory, then download the above file to the same location.

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll give that a shot next time I'm in the office, until then, I'll keep my fingers crossed! :eek:)

well I D/L'd the new file and replaced the existing one, but there is still the persisting issue. I checked the properties of both files and they appear to be identical, (same creation date & time) I'm wondering if perhaps the wireless modem might be an issue. Any other thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks again!

Mike

Just to be clear, you are seeing this on machines that don't use the wireless modem, correct?

Does the incorrect charater ever seem to be consistent in where it occurs or what is displayed?

Any chances someone has tweaked the Procomm configuration (terminal emulation and such) on the problem machines?

You might also try using Procomm's Monitor Window to see if the bad characters are being sent by Procomm or the remote system. Below is some information on how to check for that. In your case, you would want to first make sure that the character sent by Procomm (in blue) shows up correctly in the Monitor Window. My suspicion is that it will show up OK but the blue "echo" character from the system will not.

Procomm's Monitor Window can be used to view the incoming and outgoing data, in both hex and ASCII format. To activate this window, select the Data | Monitor Window menu item. Resize the Monitor Window so that you can view the entire width of the window, then click back in the Procomm Plus window so that the Monitor Window does not have focus. Incoming text is displayed in red, while text you send is colored blue. The Monitor Window can be handy for viewing incoming escape sequences (to determine if Procomm Plus is responding properly to them) or to verify that the program is sending the data you think it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back