Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

operadornine

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2010
AR
Hi all ,
I have an IBM 3650 server with redhat 4, im having issue when i try to reboot the server the system is not responding to my commands.
reboot
shutdown -r now

Please any ideas??

Do you get any message at all, or does it just go to the next prompt immediately?

How about in the system logs?

What is the output of who -r (to find out whether it is already trying to transition from one runlevel to another)?

If you run ps -fC rc, can you see any instances of the /etc/rc.d/rc script running?

Does this always happen on this server, or is it just this once (so far)?

Annihilannic.

that's the issue i dont see nothing, how can i see if some process hangup?

thanks

The way I understood your original question was that you type in reboot or shutdown -r now and nothing happened. Is that right?

Or does the system shut down as expected, and just not boot up again?

Annihilannic.

no the sistem never reboots, the only way is with the hard reboot, unplug cable power.
And the other just was a question about how to check the process if they are hangup.

thanks..

It's difficult to check whether a process is hanging, unless there's something obvious like it's using 100% CPU. Sometimes if you use strace -p <pid> on a process you can establish whether it is stuck in a system call of some type.

But it would help to identify the cause if you could answer the questions I posted originally.

Annihilannic.

no sir im still having the issue.

thanks for you help.

I know... but you need to post the output of the commands I mentioned above... for example, after you issue a shutdown -r now, what is the output of the who -r command?

Annihilannic.

when i do the who -r or ps -fC rc is not showing nothing.
the only way i can reboot is unplugging the power.

thanks

Can you please post the contents of your /etc/inittab file?

Does shutdown -n work?

Annihilannic.

yesterday i think i found the issue.
this server has a NFS mount and i removed from the fstab it and did a mount -a. after that i did a shutdown -r now
and is working, i know is strange but i can reboot the server with no problems. Today i will reinstall the nfs/portmaper and see whats going on.

thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back