Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues pulling data through ODBC connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoWantsTacos

Programmer
Mar 18, 2011
US
I have a report with probably 70 subreports and each subreport brings back anywhere from 6000-15000 rows (then groups them together so ultimately 7-10 rows display). When I connect directly to the database I have no issues retrieving data however when I use an ODBC connection to retrieve that's linked to the same database it crashes after loading the first subreport with the following:

Faulting application crw32.exe, version 11.5.8.826, faulting module crdb_odbc.dll, version 11.5.11.1470, fault address 0x000174c3.

Hi,
is ODBC your only connection option?

What dataabse?

Given the complexity of your data need, perhaps a database stored procedure could handle some ( or all) of the aggregating?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

We'd like to use the ODBC connection instead of the ADO connection as our server is going to be changing soon. I'm confused as what you mean by which database. It's a SQL Server 2000 database.

There are about 35 stored procedures that drive all the subreports, and as I mentioned it works fine when I use the ADO connection but crashes on the ODBC connection even though they are both pointing and connecting to the same database.

Hi,
That is what I meant by what database - each database make has its own set of connection options ( ODBC,ADO,a native driver, like Oracle's).

If the server is going to change is it more difficult to set up a new ADO connection than it is to change the ODBC one?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

If the ADO connection changes I have to go through and revalidate all the subreports. This is also true if I want to switch between production and test. With the ODBC connection I simply change to where it's pointing and it takes 3 seconds. The validation route takes 30 minutes because of all the subreports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back