Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues prioritizing network connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello All,
So I have a Dell Optiplex 3010 with an Asus PCE-AC56 wifi card installed and am having issues in getting the main network traffic to flow via the onboard NIC. We installed only the driver off of the included disc for the wifi and did not install the Utility that came with it. I have assigned the metric for the onboard NIC to 5 and the wifi to 30. I have done so via Powershell, as admin, and through the properties of the IPv4 section. Disabled IPv6 on both adapters as well just to have less areas to deal with. I am able to access all LAN traffic over the onboard NIC but I need the internet traffic to go that way as well. Regardless of what I do, it tried to flow out of the wifi connection. I have restarted after changing metrics. If the wifi is disabled, the internet traffic goes out the onboard NIC as it should. As soon as you turn on the wifi, it takes precedence. I have looked at the other properties of both adapters and cannot find anything that would seem to mess with that. The only other thing I have found in Googling was maybe there was a setting in the BIOS, which I will check out at noon when the person using it goes to lunch.

Unfortunately, we have to have the internet go out the onboard NIC and cannot switch their roles. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I'm going to install the wireless utilities package on their website to see if there isn't anything in there I can use to fix this.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Fixed the issue so far.
cmd - route -4 print
That will show you the static routes and their weighted metric. Apparently the metric you see with get-netipinterface or through the properties of the IPv4 settings is not the same as the metric listed in the static routing. As soon as I saw the static routing metrics I could see that the wifi had priority. Once I changed it to a higher priority than the onboard NIC, all worked as planned.

Thanks to anyone who read over this and gave it a Google.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Good catch. Glad you got it fixed.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back