Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

issues adding a 2nd dc to a 2003 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

max8699

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
AU
Hey all,
Using the site below as a referrence i added a 2nd dc to my 2003 domain. Everything went smooth, no errors showed up, and when it was all finished checked the new dc and The AD, sites and services and domains and trusts were all in the admin tools folder. The default first site name is there with both the dc's listed. However Sysvol has not replicated to the second dc. The second dc also has dns running on it as well. I can see the other dc from server01 and vica versa.
If i open my computer on the new dc and type in the server name or it's ip i can see all shared files on it yet DNS is showing an error saying it can't find server01.
If i try to dcprommo the new dc back to a member server it fails saying it can't find any other dc's on the network.

There is something i'm missing just can't see it.

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Something DNS related, I think. Perhaps wrong AD service records in a new DNS server. Try to point both DCs to DNS server on the first DC.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Pat: about 1day and a half
Karlisi: so I should set both dns to point to the first server. So server 1 should point to itself and the second dc should point to the server1 ?

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Yes, both to 1st server. Yes, 1st server to itself.

If this works, on 2nd server remove DNS zones for your AD domain, both forward, and reverse if you have one, and make new ones, AD integrated.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back