Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with screen size

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailbox061583

Programmer
Jul 21, 2009
US
I was working on a Qbasic game in DOSbox. I changed the DOSbox settings to display all the characters at 6x8 pixles. The change somehow applied to full screen mode, and the program as it was run itself.

The effect was that my output screen had space for about 40 lines of text, and I made the program around this. I can't seem to get it back like that, and therefore can't run it anymore.

Any help anyone could offer would be great.

Have you tried Ctrl-Enter ?
(hol Ctrl down and press the Enter key)

also, you can reference the old guides on setting screen parameters from within QB, or from a batch file...

I believe this is the format for a batch file (or for manual changes from the DOS prompt
Code:
set screen cols = xxx
set screen rows = yy

I hope this helps;
robherc

I think that the SCREEN COLS and ROWS function will return the ASCII value of the character at that location.

It sounds to me that the problem mailbox061583 is having is related to DOSBox and not QBASIC. This may have to do with a display setting in the DOSBox config file. The screen resolution in DOSBox can be controlled in the config file.

I think that the SCREEN COLS and ROWS function will return the ASCII value of the character at that location.

It sounds to me that the problem mailbox061583 is having is related to DOSBox and not QBASIC. This may be related to a display setting in the DOSBox config file. The screen resolution in DOSBox can be controlled in the config file.

That code block was written in batch, not QBasic...those are DOS shell commands for changing the screen configuration. There is a QB command to set those parameters (I know, because I've used it) from within your program but, unfortunately I don't remember it at the moment.

I hope this helps;
robherc

Oops, I used the wrong code block anywise...
Code:
mode con cols=xxx
mode con rows=yy

...Don't quote me still, but I THINK those are the right commands...will verify later, when I'm not on my BlackBerry (no DOSbox)

I hope this helps;
robherc

ok, now that I'm on a "real" computer again:
Code:
mode con cols=100 lines=50
sets your DOSbox to display 100chars wide by 50 chars high...use the commands from the c:\> prompt, or in a batch file ;-)

I hope this helps;
robherc

I am not sure if I am answering the question or not. It sounds like your use of a font which along with going to certain graphics modes causes the qbasic window to modify the shortcut properties value for options to full screen and you need to right click on the shortcut and goto properties-options-full screen & change it to windows and save.

I hope this might be what you wanted.

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back