Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with Response.Redirect when target is FTP (ie only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeNer

Programmer
Jun 2, 2002
CA
Hi i am actually working in a big project in ASPX (c#) and i've got a very weird issue and maybe one of you will put me in the right direction because i've try almost everything before posting here =/

Here's my problem :

In the application the user can manager almost everything, they can add , move and remove sections and they can put many many thing (we called those thing GADGETS) in them. One of our Gadget is a "bookmark tool".

User can mangage their tools, for the bookmark they can add and remove hyperlinks , set title, description, target and parameters.

As we wanted to add some security to our site we decided to hide "parameters" on the hyperlink when users are 'viewing' the Gagdet. (they view and they can mangage it). Some of the parameters can are sensitive (password, user account) and we dont want them to appear on the link, so we created a page UrlRedirect.aspx that we use to redirect to 'hide' the parameters. The link will go to our page, and our page will redirect them to their final destination.

At some point in UrlRedirect there's a Response.Redirect.

It can do something in the end like

Response.Redirect(" , true );

and it works

When http link eveything is working everytime, but users can also use FTP link, and we want them to work too.

But there's a problem with FTP, with a ftp at the end we do something like

Response.Redirect("FTP://ftpserver1234.com/" , true );

ftpserver1234 is a pure exemple in this case

ITS NOT WORKING :( After some tests i've been to the conclusion that it's a problem with IE, because when i try the application with firefox IT IS working. With IE there's a "The page cannot be displayed" message. Is there any known issue with IE that somehow happen when you try to redirect from a HTTP page to a FTP site ?

Maybe im missing something =/

Any help will be appreciate.

Thankx

BTW : sorry if my english is kinda bad, its not my main language.

This worked fine in IE6, IE7 and Firefox for me:
Code:
    Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
       Response.Redirect("ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/")
    End Sub

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

The only thing that I am remotely aware of is the following, and I'm not sure that it applies to your situation.

================================
Update for Windows XP (KB904942)
Install this update to resolve HTTP authentication issues in Windows-based systems that do not appear until Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 is installed. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support

Senior Software Developer

For your test ca8msm, you make me realize something... In our test, our ftp server is not a public ftp server, there's a pop that must ask you our username/login and then we can enter it...

In firefox, i see the popup and i can enter into the ftp... In IE, no popup, "The page cannot be displayed" message only...

I tried with ur public ftp and it works well in both firefox AND IE, but to reproduce my case you'll need to hit a private ftp.

Try this one : ftp://ftpsoutel.grics.qc.ca/

You should get a popup that ask you for a username password if you go into it with IE, but from an application with Response.Redirect, no popup...

In case it was not clear in my previous post : public ftp works well with my application, problem comes with private ftp server.

That FTP server didn't work in any browser I tested it in

Oh crap , seems like the ftp i linked to you was only accessible from our intranet (local network)

Well try that ftp://ftp.membres.lycos.fr

Its global and its not working when i try my application with IE, but i recieve the popup and its working with FireFox.

Maybe it's just an option to activate in the IE configuration, but i read everything and i don't see anything that could be related to that

Thankx for ur help, at least now i know that it's a problem with private FTP server, related with the username/password popup

Im looking foward for a solution, if you try ftp://ftp.membres.lycos.fr on ur side and its working, pls post again cuz it will help me in my test. :)

The problem is just linked to the fact that IE wont ask me for a username/password when i try to reach a private ftp server... But why ? hehe

That's the big question

The problem is just linked to the fact that IE wont ask me for a username/password <-- I mean with an application using Response.Redirect ;)

If i use only IE and try to reach a private ftp server i recieve the popup and everything is working fine

It could be an IE security "feature" that stops this and unless there is a option on the browser to disable this behaviour, I think the only way you'll get around it is to display another hyperlink that the user can click to direct themseleves onto this FTP server.

I was prompted for UN/PW in IE 6 & 7
I wasn't (I got the page cannot be displayed message as well) so it looks as though it may be a browser configuration issue.

Hum, since its not working with ca8msm i will look foward for some clue on the IE feature/option that can cause this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back