Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with remote users sending POP3 email

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicrjm

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2005
US
As I'm adding more and more email accounts to my Exchange Server, POP3 users sending email is becoming more and more a problem. I know this is due to the fact that most ISP's block outgoing email that does not come from their domain, such as Comcast and AT&T. The current solution is to use Outlook webmail or enter the ISP's smtp settings in Outlook and authenticate with their ISP's email account. Well, when the user checks into a hotel the outgoing settings are still set to comcast changing the settings becomes a pain to non techy users. Is it possible to create some sort of smtp relay/connector on my exchange server that I can have the users that travel often enter into their outgoing Outlook settings. I'm currently using the default smtp connector in Outlook on port 25. My thought was to add another IP address to the nic card on the server, then go into System Manager\Admin Groups\First Admin Group\Servers\"Server Name"\Protocols\SMTP\. Right click Default SMTP Virtual Server, properties, General Tab, Advanced, add additional IP on port 1025 for example. All I would then need to do is point port 1025 to the new IP Address on the Exchange server nic card.

Is this right? Can someone point me in the right direction??e

RPC over HTTPS is a much better choice. If you're using Exchange, you really should try and get away from using POP3. It's quite antiquated, and VERY inefficient.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

We are the corporate office hosting email for over 213 email accounts. Currently only the corporate office users are hosting email on the Exchange server, which is about 45 users. We are close to reaching the max database size of 75GB. At this time we can not host email for rest of the 168 users. We would need to upgrade Exchange and purchase a new server. This is going to have to be the solution for now.

Don't see why you'd need to purchase a new server. Upgrade Exchange to Enterprise is quick and painless. Adding more storage is also fairly straight forward.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Can you even purchase Exchange 2003 Enterprise anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back