Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with Jumping Page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzieh

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2006
GB
Hi

I don't know if anyone can help here but I am working on this site: and am having an issue that is simply annoying.

There is little available currently. However, if you are on the homepage and go to the running pages then the page jumps slightly to the right.

I am using FF3 and have used the developer tools to check all the DIV defs and other settings but cannot find anything.

I wonder if it is related to padding or margins but cannot see where I haven't set these accordingly.

The page swaps are using AJAX, taken from Dynamic Drive but I am at a fix!

Anyone able to help?

What a WALLY! :eek:)

OMG, how did I miss that one? And I had this posted on another forum I use with nothing.

DOH!

Thanks mate.

Hi,
Yeh, FF and Chrome don't include a vertical scrollbar if the page doesn't require one. IE always includes space for one.
Personally, this page jump annoys me and to stop it happening you can add the following code to your css :-

Code:
html
{
height: 100%;
margin-bottom: 1px;
}

This causes each page to have a scrollbar whether it needs one or not, so when you move from page to page there is no sideways jump anymore.

Might be useful if you or a client find it annoying like me.

Steve

Thanks for that. In fact, once I had realised that the scrollbar was the issue I did solve it using a slightly different method:

Code:
html    {overflow-y: scroll;}

I hated the jump! Now have to get the rest of the style sorted. :)

This has been really helpful, I got pointed here from another query.

However, neither of the proposed solutions seems to be helping with IE8.

My site is
and the home page is OK, the training page jumps, but the home page doesn't get a default scroll bar.

They validate fine, but it ain't working for me!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back