Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with excessively large graphics file sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadms

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
Hello-

I was hoping that someone could shed some light on why the file size of a graphic (.gif, .bmp, .jpg) in WordPerfect 8 is excessively larger than in Word97? Ex: word .gif file size = 36KB and for the same imported graphic in WordPerfect the file size = 520 KB. I have seen many of the Word vs. WordPerfect comparisions, but none of which cover the document file sizes. Or does anyone know where I can go to find out how or why WordPerfect handles graphics files this way? Thanks!

Dawn

I had the same problem, but my problem was that the borders where way out. I had to crop them to make them smaller and that worked. And if it still didn't work I just aced or zipped them. With winace or Winzip, it works very good on documents.

The best way is to Insert, Graphics, From File, and click the bottom left box for Image on Disk. If you share the file with someone, include the graphic files used.

The large file size happen because of file bloat. You may have a history of Undos set. You can change this in Edit/Undo Redo History, Options.

To fix a bloated file, open a new document and insert the bloated file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back