Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with column defined as varchar(1) and is Nullable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtcust

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
US
Hi all. I have a column (Column_A) which is defined as varchar(1) and is Nullable. There are 10 rows where Column_A contains null and there are 10 rows where Column_A contains X

SELECT * FROM Schema.Table WHERE Schema.Table.Column_A <> 'X' returns 0 rows. I expect 10.

SELECT * FROM Schema.Table WHERE Schema.Table.Column_A IS NULL returns 10 rows. I expect 10.

I update 1 null row setting Column_A to Y

SELECT * FROM Schema.Table WHERE Schema.Table.Column_A <> 'X' returns 1 rows. I expect 11.

Can someone explain what is happing here?
Does it have to do with Column_A being defined as varchar(1)?
Can I avoid having to drop the table and changing Column_A to CHAR(1)?
Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance for any help

This is a classic case..

Null values are a special case. The expression :
Code:
Schema.Table.Column_A <> 'X'

can only be evaluated for non-null values. Evaluation for null values is not possible, hence it defaults to false and only the one value for 'Y' is returned..

[Long essays have been written about this behavior]

Ties Blom

Thanks blom0344. In all the years I have worked on DB2 I have never encountered this. Thanks again.

varchar(1) with nulls allowed? you must be owning shares in the disk-drive industry. what a waste! 200% overhead if you ask me.

I think you are correct Truusvlugindewind. What a waste!!! Unfortunately I inherited this DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back