Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue receiving email notification w/ Backup Exec 9.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shetim10

MIS
Jul 27, 2006
US
I recently installed Backup Exec 9.1 on a Windows 2000 Server machine (Server is also running MS Exchange 5.5). I configured two client accounts to receive email notification and setup the nighthly backup job to email those account as well as a copy of the job log. Emails are not being received by either account. If I try to run a test email, I get a message statin that the test notification has been queue for delivery to the recepitent, but the account never receives the test email. The domain admin account is set to send the notifications, I can sent and receive regular emails correctly from the admin to either of the client account created in Backup Exec (I send a test email from Outlook on a seperate PC and used Exchange to send/receive the emails from the Admin account).

I also have a spam filter program installed called XWall, it setup to use port 24 to send/receive emails, it's working correctly, the emails come in to the server, XWall get them and forwards them to Exchange and Exchange routes them to the proper mailboxes. Initally, I had Backup Exec set to use port 24 to send/receive email notification, I also tried using port 25, but no success with test emails or email notifications.

Lastly, the SMTP service was disable on the Server (I was assuming since Exchange was running it was not needed). In enabled the SMTP service and tried a test email again with not success (I tried ports 24 and 25).

I'm about out of idea on what else to try, any ideas?

We are sending notifications from Backup exec 9.1 via Exchnge 2003. In order to allow smtp notifications to go via the Exchange server you have to configure the Exchange SMTP virtual server with the ip address of computers that can use the exchannge server as an SMTP relay (by default none can). Not familiar with Exch 5.5 but there must be a similar option for configuring SMTP relay.

Thanks for the info. I got in contact with Technical support and was able to resolve the issue. Initally, I did not have the SMTP service running on the server. I did (in the past configure and run this servcie). After tweaking some setting I was able to use the SMTP service on the server to send a test email to myself. I'm hoping this is a sign that all is working correctly now. I now more when the next backup runs and the notification is send to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back