Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISpyNow Fake Security Alert 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

savannahterp

Technical User
Nov 30, 2008
US
Hello everyone.

I recently had the google redirect virus plus some other not so nice items that also prevented me from updating my AVG (gave me the cannot connect message)-- initially I was running with AVG antivirus and Windows Defender. This weekend I installed Ad-Aware 2008 and StopZilla (have since read a mix of stuff mostly bad re: this product), but after running scans and deleting infected items I am down to a fake security alert box popping up stating that I have a malicious Spyware.ISpynow running on my machine and then if I click on the enable button it takes me to a site where it wants me to download a rogue program. I am looking for some advice here on how to get rid of this fake alert and make sure my machine is clean. I am leaning towards doing a re-install of Windows XP, but was wondering if that is a 100% effective way to get rid of everything harmful OR if there is still a good way to make my PC clean without having to reinstall the OS. Thanks to anyone who takes the time out of their busy day to answer my questions.

Not come across this one (yet), but try MalwareBytes. It seems pretty near the top of the tree in dealing with a whole bunch of unwanteds. I've used it to good effect for some time now...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I'm in the same boat here.
I just had this ISpyNow security alert pop up on my PC. I went to install malwarebytes, along with several other recommended spyware softwares and it would not allow me to access those sites. Told me it was a valid site but it could not be accessed at this time. From google, it redirected me to imitation sites when I clicked the link.
I then downloaded the installation file for malwarebytes on my laptop, transferred it to my PC and tried to run it but it would not let me install it. I can't seem to install any useful spyware programs or access any sites to download them. The only one I had on my system was Search & Destroy and I couldn't even get that to run.
This one has outsmarted me.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can download, update, and run MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D from there.

Cheers.

iSpyNow...the "new generation" of malware that poses as security software and is actually a keylogger. MajorGeeks has a repair posted (if it won't open up right now, try again later). NEVER believe anything you read on the first page or two of Google results unless you know the source...this is their M.O. for distribution.

Keep digging until you reach a trusted site to obtain valid removal instructions.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back