Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISP Kicks Me Off - Not due to idle though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaresean

Programmer
Mar 24, 2003
ZA
Hi there;

My modem seems to be working 100%. The connection speed is at about 44 kbps and it seems to download at a reasonable rate. No complaints. However, my isp kicks me off after a while. My uptime never gets to 24 hours, which is crap cause we have a maximum amount a phone call can cost here. So the longer I stay connected for a single call the cheaper it costs me.

I have a conexant v92 chip modem the drivers installed as "Softk56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP".

I am definitely not being kicked off for being idle as I am constantly downloading. So what could it be?

Thanks for any advice or help in the matter.

Sean. [peace]

I have had one dialup ISP which automatically terminated calls every 2 hours, and one that did so every 6 hours.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Here's a bit more information I found out about my modem. It is a Conexant CX11252 (HSFi) modem. I noticed that the drivers bundled with the cd are dated 9/11/2002, although I only bought the thing last month. I am using windows xp sp2, which automatically installed drivers for the modem. The modem seems to work okay with either the windows xp, or the bundled drivers. I noticed that the connecting sound doesn't work when I use the windows xp drivers, other than that they seem to work identically. They both get disconnected at random times, usually after a large amount of hours though, so it might be isp related.

I have done alot of research on modems, and have seen there is a lot to know out there. It is a bit discouraging though that most people get their modems working almost by accident. I am going to phone my isp today to see whether they support v.92.

Will take it from there.

I would appreciate any advice/comments from anyone out there that has experience with this. Especially from the isp's point of view!

Thanks;

Sean. [peace]

Your in Luck i work with an ISP and we rarely "manually disconnect users unless of course they are either idle for long amounts of time, keep a 24 hours connection through out the day, or if a ModemCard is full and there are users who have been on for at least 10 hours at a time. Its is true, some ISP's do disconnect users every so often as standard protocol. if your isp does not disconnect users than my guess is phone line. your HSF may "seem" like it is working 100 percent as you say it is. BUT DONT BE FOOLED. modem's can detect the slightest discrepancy with in the phone line that the human ear may not pick up. depending on the modem it may not have a high tolerance threshold to maintain a connection. HSP Modems are not the most self reliant, so i can understand why your modem disconnects frequently. try lowering your recieve buffer a full set and add s10=200 for an initialzation string this will set the hangup delay for a lost carrier to 20 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back