Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

isolating networks when dual nics

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebomber

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
US
It seems that when a machine has dual nics it likes to share that fact with other machines. Here's my scenario:

I have a server, ServerA, with two nics. One with a 150.102.x.x address to the corporate network and one with a 10.x.x.x address for a private network.

When I map a drive to another server, ServerB, over the 150.102.x.x nic it also seems to share the fact that it has a 10.x.x.x interface too. Where I see this is on ServerB. If I do a netstat command on ServerB, I will see both ServerA addresses at the time of mapping the drive and periodically at other times.

Is there some way to setup ServerA so that the two nics are totally isolated from each other. I would have thought that would be default behavior but it doesn't seem to be. Since seeing this issue I have setup other similar scenarios with the same results.

Thanks.

whitebomber - can I suggest posting this in perhaps the 2k or XP forums - just because they get far more visitors than NT nowadays (and more networking experts)

Take a look at the bindings tab. You will need to disable bindings that go to the opposite NIC.

DMammone, thanks for the info... However can you be a bit more specific. I'm familiar with the protocols and bindings etc., but I'm not exactly following your thoughts.

What bindings would I disable? Each nic needs to be bound to the installed protocols I have.

Are you referring to some type of binding between the two nics?

Thanks for any additional info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back